Saturday, July 5, 2014

Lutheran's Theology

I once had a very delightful conversation with a Lutheran. He told me that the Calvinist cannot have assurance. I told him the Bible seems to say so. He said no. Christ died for all men universally, he said. My response was - does that give you assurance? Maybe those who end up in hell did not have assurance? Regardless, assurance is not based on my belief but based upon the infallible promises of God. Perhaps maybe I cannot have assurance. The Gospel is not that Christ died for you. The Gospel is that Christ actually atoned for sins. The sins he atoned for are the Elect people of God. Without election, no one is atoned for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are your thoughts on 1 John 5:13

Kirk said...

I think it is true. We have assurance because of the Cross. In my critique against the Lutheran idea - have you read Clarks critique against Karl Barth? - that Christ died for every single universal man on the face of the planet which is referenced by saying Christ died for YOU, I was attempting to say that our assurance is not based on the faulty idea that Christ died FOR YOU. Our assurance rest in that Christ died for a Particular people on their behalf so that the wrath of God is appeased and so they will receive His righteousness. These men will believe the gospel and so they have assurance based upon the true Gospel proposition.

Joel Tay said...

Yes. Clark's critique of Barth is the best I have read. Excellent work that attacks Barth's epistlemology and theological method.