Saturday, March 28, 2015

Philemon 8-16 - Philemon's love for the truth

"Paul says that he is appealing to Philemon 'for love's sake,' rather than boldly commanding him. Some commentators understand this phrase to refer to Paul's love for Philemon, but it is Philemon's love for Christ Jesus and for all the saints that is mentioned most prominently in the preceding verse: Paul has already mentioned them twice. Paul wants Philemon to do something out of love, not from a sense of duty, even though Paul has the authority to command him to do his Christian duty. If Philemon does this thing voluntarily, willingly, intelligently, and cheerfully, rather than grudgingly and without understanding, then he too will have grown in Christ, that is, in his understanding and love for Christ and all believers." - John Robbins, Slavery and Christianity



8Wherefore, though I might be much bold in Christ to enjoin thee that which is proper, 9Yet for love's sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.
10I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds: 11Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me: 12Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels: 13Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel: 14But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly. 15For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; 16Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord?

No comments: