Sunday, April 7, 2019

There is a difference between the Revolutionist Anarchist and the Christian Anarchist

"But what are governments to do against men who show the uselessness, superfluous, and perniciousness of all governments, and do not contend against them, but simply do not need them and do without them, and therefore are unwilling to take any part in them? The revolutionists say: The form of government is bad in this respect and that respect; we must overturn it and substitute this or that form of government. The Christian says: I know nothing about the form of government, I don't know whether it is good or bad, and I don't want to overturn it precisely because I don't know whether it is good or bad, but for the very same reason I don't want to support it either. And I not only don't want to, but I can't, because what it demands of me is against my conscience." - Leo Tolstoy, The Kingdom of God is Within You, pg. 137

No comments: