Wednesday, October 23, 2019

On Suicide

"Sasha. What can you say? That you're an honest man? That's hardly a secret! You'd better tell me frankly whether you know what you're doing or not. You come in here with honest man written all over you, terribly insult him and nearly kill me. Before that you've dogged his footsteps and made his life a misery, quite convinced you were doing your duty as an honest man. You've meddled in his private life, made his name dirt and set yourself up to judge him. You took every chance to bombard me and all his friends with anonymous letters - thinking all the time what a very honest man you were. In the name of honesty you, a doctor, didn't spare even his sick wife, you pestered her with your suspicions. There's no outrageous, rotten, cruel trick you couldn't play while still thinking yourself an unusually honest and progressive man.

Ivanov [Laughing]. This isn't a wedding, it's a public debate. Loud cheers!

Sasha [to LVOV]. Now think for a moment. Do you know what you're doing or don't you? Stupid, callous people. [Takes IVANOV by the hand.] Come away, Nicholas. Come on, Father!

Ivanov. What do yo mean, come on? I'll put an end to all this here and now. I feel like a young man again, it's my old self that's speaking. [Takes out his revolver.]

Sasha [Shrieks]. I know what he wants to do. Nicholas, for God's sake!

Ivanov. I've rolled downhill long enough, it's time to call a halt. I've outstayed my welcome. Go away. Thank you, Sasha.

Sasha [Shouts]. Nicholas, for God's sake! Stop him!

Ivanov. Leave me alone! [Runs to one side and shoots himself.]

Curtain"

- Anton Chekhov, Ivanov, Pg. 62 - 63

No comments: