Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christian Rap and Scripture alone

The Article (linked below) is interesting. It begins with a Question by one of the persons who adheres to the Form of Music in question. The Question seems to be not whether Christian Rap Music (With lyrics) is sinful, but in general whether Rap music (perhaps other music) without lyrics is sinful. The Answerer responds by saying yes and then goes on a tangent on why it is so. I am not certain if the Complainant really understands the question asked. Perhaps he is answering with a general idea that all 'Rap' music regardless of lyrics is bad. If this is so he must say it clearly and ground it in Scripture. He has not so far done either one of them. But lets comment on what he is saying:
Although, our intentions are first and foremost important to whatever we do or say. It is also clear from certain communicable(Community) ethics that sometimes our actions or words though we may not intend to do so might cause others to stumble. The meaning of this is that though I know the truth and I intend to communicate the truth to others - we definitely understand that understanding facts (especially of Scripture) comes by Grace alone and not by might. Therefore, as a teacher of truth I intend to communicate it in such a way that others would be more in apt to listen and understand - this means by not being a jerk. I understand the way I communicate is not as important as what is being communicated - but as our fallen sinful passions are concerned here is that we concern ourselves more so with the way and not the what. As I will be listening and reading on certain thoughts of certain people it is my goal to listen and hear each of the arguments being said. Though I affirm that Truth is truth and needs to be spoken regardless of the formality of how it is spoken, still though I (personally) try not to be a jerk about it (as I leave the offense of the Cross to the Cross - the truth). I will say that Scripture however is not concerned primarily with the HOW we speak of certain things than the WHAT and with regards to Christian Rap (as oppose to other forms of Christian music) it is one of the best music out there lyrically speaking - as they contextualize Scripture. Though I like some Christian Rap (not all Christian Rap is lyrically good) I personally do not listen to it all the time.

 "The essential thing is the message preached. The same principle applies to hillbilly singing. If it detracts from the message, it is bad. If it were used with a moderately well educated audience, with people who have some taste in music, it would so detract, by repelling them. On the other hand, I cannot agree with a friend of mine who says that good Reformed theology requires that only Bach should be used. Oh dear, no Mozart and not even Handel's Messiah! Personally I prefer good music, just as I prefer good grammar; but the Scripture does not specify what style of music must be used. As the Westminster Confession says, 'There are some circumstances concerning the worship of God and government of the Church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature and Christian prudence." - Rev. Gordon H. Clark

http://religiousaffections.org/articles/articles-on-culture/discussion-about-christian-rap-with-shai-linne-can-music-be-sinful/

No comments: