Monday, August 10, 2015

What is wrong with Macarthur?

"What kind of faith is it that permits a person, having affirmed Jesus Christ as Jehovah God, to continue in an unbroken pattern of sin and rebellion?" - John Macarthur, The Gospel according to Jesus, ed. 2008, pg. 80 The answer to John's question is that a faith that is based on the sole person and work of Christ Jesus' righteousness alone imputed to them who are the elect of God through faith in His blood. Faith that saves is a faith that assents to the gospel proposition. Macarthur is going to say that the gospel does not save (baffling seeing how he is a teacher). Macarthur says, "True faith embraces not only the data of the gospel, but the Person of Christ as well." Pg. 81 But how do we know of the person of Christ unless through the data of the gospel? Macarthur here is making distinctions that should not be made. Now I am having issues with Macarthur embellishing the meaning of words and also even finding him equivocating words throughout this book. As a Calvinist I believe in the sovereignty of God or as he likes to put it in the Lordship of God. But this has nothing to do with me believing that I make Christ Lord of my life in salvation. Christ is sovereign over salvation but this hardly equates that I will obey him (completely or even at all). Salvation is salvation from sin and from it's consequences; i.e. damnation. If Macarthur wants to say that I believe in Christ because of fire insurance then so be it. I will also charge him that he is doing the same.

No comments: